1. Which of the following is true for compensatory anti-inflammatory response syndrome (CARS)?May increase the risk for sepsis .This is a normal response to any infection Normally occurs before SIRS Typically occurs with autoimmune disorders
2.Which of the following patients does a nurse determine as most at risk for neurogenic shock? Person with spinal cord injury at T2Person with systemic E.coli infection Person stabbed in the leg Person with severe allergies
3. A nurse comments that a patient is displaying an overwhelming immune response to trauma. Which acronym would apply to the nurse’s statement?
APACHEMODSCARSSIRS. A patient presents with anaphylactic shock. Which of the following has likely occurred? Internal bleeding Disruption of the sympathetic nervous system Failing heart rate and blood pressure Massive bronchoconstriction
5.All of the following are criteria for SIRS EXCEPT Leukocytosis Hypothermia Hypoventilation Fever Elevated heart rate6. A nursing student is reviewing the “gut theory” in relation to the development of multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS). What is the correct sequence for the following events?
1. Gastrointestinal (GI) mucosal ischemia
2. Increased permeability of GI wall
3. Massive immune response to GI bacteria
4. Decreased perfusion of GI tract
5. GI bacteria enter bloodstream