1. If you wish to extract aqueous acetic acid into hexane is it more effective to adjust the aqueous phase to pH 3 or pH 8?
2. A chromatogram with ideal Gaussian bands has tr = 17.5 min and w 1/2 = 1.50 min. A) How many theoretical plates are present? B) Find the plate height if the column is 10 cm long.
3. Match the terms in the first list with the characteristics in the second list and give an example of how each type of chromatography could be used in analytical chemistry.
1. adsorption chromatography
2. partition chromatography
3. ion-exchange chromatography
4. molecular exclusion chromatography
5. affinity chromatography
a. Ions in the mobile phase are attracted to the counterions covalently attached to the stationary phase
b. Different-sized solutes penetrate voids in stationary phase to different extents. The largest solutes are eluted first.
c. Solute equilibrates between mobile phase and surface of stationary phase.
d. Solute in the mobile phase is attracted to specific groups covalently attached to the stationary phase
e. Solute equilibrates between mobile phase and film of liquid attached to stationary phase.
4. Solute S has a partition coefficient of 3.0 between water (phase 1) and chloroform (phase 2) in equation 22-1.
a) Calculate the concentration of S in chloroform if [S (aq)] is 0.015M.
b) If the volume of water is 70.0 mL and the volume of chloroform is 12.0 mL, find the quotient (mol S in chloroform)/(mol S in water). Assignment help