Watch the movie, “The Pursuit of Happyness” featuring Will Smith as Chris Gardner. This film can be viewed on Youtube.com in its full entirety. Reflect on the movie to determine how principles of positive psychology were depicted in the life of the protagonist (Chris Gardner).
Related Course Objectives: 1. Articulate how positive experiences such as pleasure, happiness, positive emotions, and flow contribute to wellbeing.
- Explain various positive individual traits such as resilience, optimism, hope, character strengths, values, virtues, talents, interests, and abilities.
- Demonstrate how various positive individual traits are related to different types and aspects of wellbeing.
- Apply the principles of positive psychology to everyday experiences.
- Evaluate the utility of various concepts in positive psychology for enhancing individual and institutional wellbeing.
Assignment Description and Instructions Watch the movie, “The Pursuit of Happyness” featuring Will Smith as Chris Gardner. This film can be viewed on Youtube.com in its full entirety. Reflect on the movie to determine how principles of positive psychology were depicted in the life of the protagonist (Chris Gardner).
Write an essay on your review of the movie based on the guiding questions below.
Your essay is expected to contain the following:
Introduction. This will provide the reader with an overview of the content of the paper and a brief summary of the main aspects of the movie.
- Body of the essay. This is the main part of the essay.
- Provide responses to the guiding questions given using headings as appropriate.
- Your review should be supported by appropriate literature.
- Ensure that all of your sources are cited in text according to APA 7.
This should follow logically from the information outlined in the body of the essay.
Every source which appears in your essay must appear in your reference list using the APA 7 style of referencing.
Guiding Questions: 1. Outline how issues related to the following were depicted in the movie
- Pleasure and positive experiences
- Positive thinking
- Character strengths and virtues
- Which one of the strengths would you say Gardner possess in the film (select at least 3)? Why? Define each strength. (Ex: creativity, vitality, fairness etc.)
- Discuss the specific obstacles and struggle or conflict Gardner faces in reaching or maximizing the strengths selected/noted.
- How does Gardner illustrate how to overcome obstacles and build and maintain strength?
- Is the tone/mood of the film inspiring or uplifting? Why or why not?
- What impact did the film have on you? Were you inspired after watching the film? Why or why not? 7. What is the role of happiness in this story?
- What specific tenets of Positive Psychology are evident in the film? Expand on at least 2 points.
- How would you evaluate the overall wellbeing of the protagonist in the context?
- To what extent are the issues identified relevant in a real-life situation?
- Based on the issues identified in question 1, what recommendations would you make about what could be done differently, to improve the overall wellbeing of the protagonist or someone in a similar situation?
- What is the significance of the word “happyness” vs “happiness” in the title of the film?