GBS 205 Final Project – Civic Engagement Through the Political Process. This portion of the final project is a written paper that focuses on the processes involved in making the laws that we study as part of the GBS 205 course. It meets the following course competency:
• Trace the historical development of law, the U.S. Constitution, the U.S. Court system, legal terminology, and legal procedures. The written paper should be divided into three distinct sections. It should be written as a paper and not a question and answer worksheet.
Civic Engagement Through Contact with Representatives This section should include the following: 1. A list of the names of the people that represent the area you live in ( I live in city Tempe, Arizona, Maricopa county) each of the following offices:
• Two U.S. Senators – (These are the people that represent Arizona in Washington DC.)
• One U.S. Congressman – (Also serves in Washington D.C., determined by your Congressional district)
• The governor of Arizona
• Two state representatives – (represent the district where you live; they meet in Phoenix Arizona.)
• One state senator – (represent the district where you live; they meet in Phoenix Arizona.)
• The mayor of the city where you live.
• A city council member that represents the area of the city where you live.
2. A copy of a letter (or an email) written to one of the above representatives discussing an issue that is important to you and suggesting to them an appropriate way of dealing with it. You should actually send this letter (or email) to the person to whom it is addressed.
3. A discussion of why you chose this issue, why you chose this representative for dealing with this issue and the importance of communicating with representatives in this manner. Do you think they read communications such as this and respond to them or are they simply ignored?
Understanding the State Legislative Process For this section of the paper you will need to watch a video archive of a meeting of the state legislature. To find a meeting go to the Arizona State Legislature webpage. Select either the Senate or House drop-down menu. Select “Archived Meetings” and you will get a list of previously held meetings that you can watch online. Choose a meeting that is at least 30 minutes long on a topic that interests you and watch it in its entirety. (Hint: The most interesting topics are discussed early in the year so go back to a meeting in February or March). Write about it in this section and include the following:
1. The name of the group holding the meeting (“Joint Legislative Budget Committee” or “Senate Judiciary” etc.), the date and the length of the meeting.
2. A detailed summary of what happened in the meeting including an identification of any bills that were discussed.
3. Your own evaluation of the importance of the topics discussed in the meeting to both Arizona residents and the Arizona business community.
4. Your understanding and evaluation of the state legislative process. Are the needs and effects on business adequately presented and discussed at these meetings? How can businesses influence policy and legislation in the state? Can you think of anything that might be done to improve this process from a businessperson’s perspective?
Understanding Local Government For this section of the paper you need to watch a video archive of both a city council meeting and a city council study session. (If you can demonstrate with pictures or video that you actually attended these meetings you can receive up to 50 extra credit points.). Go to the city’s website and find a link to archived meetings (all cities sites are different – you should be able to navigate through this fairly simply) and watch both meetings in their entirety. Write about the following in this section of your paper:
1. The city, date and time of both meetings.
2. A detailed description of what happened in each meeting – including prayers, awards, pledge of allegiance, contracts and ordinances discussed, contents of consent agendas etc
. 3. Your evaluation of the importance and relevance of what happened in the meetings to the residents of the city or town.
4. Your opinion on the city council process overall. Is it accessible, valuable, important for residents to attend these meetings? Do citizens have an adequate say in what takes place in a meeting such as this?
5. Do the mayor and councilmembers seem to have a good understanding of the issues? Are they considering the interests of local businesses and citizens when they make their decisions? Are local businesses represented at the meetings? Do businesses have good opportunities to express their positions on the issues?
Do you have any suggestions for improving the process? The length of the paper is not as important as its completeness. You will be graded on having included a thoughtful discussion on all of the topics presented in this prompt. Simple “yes” or “no” type answers will not receive credit without further explanation of the reasoning behind the answer.
Once your paper is finished, upload it to the assignment “Final Project – Government Participation Written Paper.” The due date is on the assignment. Make sure you give yourself time for the file to upload before the 11:59 pm deadline as I will not accept late assignments papers copied into the comments section of the Canvas assignment or as attachments to an email. This portion of the final project is worth 90 points. Remember: This assignment may NOT be submitted late for either full or partial credit.
Why Choose Us
Premium Quality Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional Assignment Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Timely Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
Customer Support 24/7
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Our Assignment Writing Help Services
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission and Business Papers
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Editing and Proofreading
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.