Your business law class that seemed to last an eternity is finally over. Right before you leave, your law instructor gives you a mind-numbing assignment due in a few days. What’s worse is that it’s an open assignment; therefore, you have to develop your topic for the assignment. Ask yourself. What business law topics can I write on?
Coming up with a business law research topic is often an uphill task for most law students. A huge number of students give up before getting one or end up copying previously written research papers. In this article, we will highlight several business law topics and ideas. These new topics and ideas will impress your instructor for a good grade and help you learn more about business law in the process.
What is a business law paper?
Business law is the written or unwritten rules that govern the conduct and affairs of an individual or an enterprise involved in trade and commerce. Therefore, a business law paper is a research paper written containing content relevant to business law. Business law is also referred to as commercial law.
Business laws could be national, regional, or international, governing the mandate of business participants. There is a wide scope of things one could cover while writing a business law paper. Hence, it is important to establish what topic would best suit your needs and assignment guidelines.
How to choose a compelling business law research topic
It’s easy to come up with an average topic for law research. Choosing a compelling research topic that captivates the reader requires a bit of tactic. Here are a few tips on how to do that:
1. Survey the terrain
You may start by going through legal blogs and news. Write down anything that was mentioned in class and was appealing to you. List down legal cases that might have come up at work. Brainstorm on an area that interests you or what you plan on practicing after graduation. To write a paper that has depth on your topic, you need to search as many sources as possible for ideas.
2. Narrow down the business law topics
After limiting the scope of your paper, now do further research on the legal issue you have decided. After consulting all the resources available to you for an idea, narrow down all your findings to a single legal issue. Research the problem statement and layout a brief argument for your paper.
3. Create a thesis and choose between a case note or comment
Your thesis should be an analysis of the topic you have narrowed down. Each of your solutions for the topic should be supported by a legal authority.
4. Preemption check
Ensure that the topic has not been covered by other researchers or rendered obsolete by court decisions or legal changes.
How to write business law papers
To effectively write a good business law research paper, prepare well in advance. Business law entails complex concepts that need to be clearly explained in your paper. Here are a few writing tips:
- Create an outline
An outline helps you to organize your research findings. This is one of the most effective tools that will help you throughout your research and writing. You may break down the outline into the various sections that will comprise your research paper. All the collected notes will be properly structured into sentences and paragraphs in your rough draft.
- Select a compelling topic
You must choose a topic that you are interested in and would like to understand better. This will help you develop a strong thesis statement that you can provide evidence. You may have an uphill task writing your paper if you don’t have a strong thesis statement. Additionally, it may happen if there are no resources or material to cover your topic.
- Go through the assignment guidelines carefully
You may write a good business law research paper but miss out on having a good grade if you fail to follow the assignment guidelines. You may need to write your paper in a certain formatting style, explain your topic in a certain style, etc. If you don’t understand any part of the assignment instructions, seek out clarification from your instructor.
- Evaluate resources to be used for research
Having reliable sources ensures that your content maintains credibility. You will be required to have an idea of where to get relevant materials for your topic. These may include journal publications, government websites, educational websites, etc.
Structure of a business law paper
Business law papers use the IRAC method for structuring the paper. It is briefly expounded below:
Issue – your response should state the legal issue presented by the essay question/topic
Rule – The rule defines which test or law applies to the issue
Analysis – This involves the application of facts of the rule to the essay question or topic
Conclusion – This denotes the answer or solution to your legal issue
Business law topics
A business law topic covers various aspects of commercial law under the topic in question. Here is a list of topics open for exploration:
- State and explain the common rules of ratified treaties.
- Discuss the correlation between administrative law and business law
- Define the judicial control of the Executive in influencing business law
- What role does the Labor and Employment Courts play in safeguarding business law
- Discuss the nature of substitute dispute resolutions in business law
- Assess the general principles of ADR in business legal encounters
- Define the application of the policy of separation of powers in business law
- Discuss the role of the principles of natural justice in business laws
- Analyze the impact of business misconduct in the Court of Appeal and the High Court
- Deliberate the dissimilarities between business laws in non-governmental and governmental organizations
Business law topics for research paper
A research paper is a written essay explaining what you have learned after going through a topic in length. Business law papers require extensive research and hence a lot of sources. Here are a few topical ideas for research:
- Discuss what the Ocean Linear Contract system entails
- How is business profitability affected by piracy?
- Discuss the Portability and Accountability Act.
- What level of confidentiality should trade secrets have?
- Discuss the Sexual Harassment Laws within the corporate setting
- Discuss the Collective Bargaining Agreement
- What does the Sarbanes-Oxley Act entail?
- Discuss various methods for treatment after accidents occur in the workplace
- What are the various ways to identify bankruptcy fraud?
- Describe the concept of paternity leave in labor law and its relevance in the workplace and the contemporary world
- What are the various techniques for avoiding internal sexual harassment lawsuits within a company?
- Discuss the effects of exclusion from antitrust laws
- What is the Age Discrimination Act?
- Discuss hazards within the constructions industry and international laws guiding the industry
- Discuss the basic details of Abercrombie and Race Discrimination
- What role does the law of contracts play in business transactions?
- What role does a director’s guarantee play in business law?
- Discuss various aspects of advertising law
- What are the consequences of copyright infringement?
- Analyze the structure of a transaction under business law
- What is the significance of commercial law?
- How are commercial transactions and licensing affected by business law?
- What instances do the termination agreements and contract law apply in business transactions?
- Investigate the practical use of copyright and trademark by business organizations
- How is the interpretation of contracts affected by the legislature?
- Investigate contract law and the workings of non-verbal and verbal contracts
International business law topics for a research paper
International business law is the practice of law within the global community. These include international commercial transactions, tariffs, taxes, and licensing. Here are a few topic ideas:
- Discuss the right of a company to choose its country of registration
- What is the importance of the doctrine of separate legal personality in international business?
- What techniques can you use for barring former employees from joining competitor companies?
- Discuss the process of drawing up international extraction contracts for mining and oil companies
- Discuss the execution of non-disclosure agreements internationally
- What are the consequences of incorporating domestic laws into international business agreements?
- Can litigation procedures be avoided in foreign lands?
- What are the best policies in international arbitration?
- Discuss various cases where data security and confidentiality guidelines are functional
- Discuss corruption among judges in first world countries
- Discuss the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on international law
- Evaluate various aspects of competition law and intellectual property law internationally
- What are the effects of transport law and global trade on the nature of international business?
- What is the role of globalization in restructuring international business law?
- What is the function of international tax law?
- What is the correlation between international business law and shape securities law?
- Does international law shape local business laws?
- Is a moot court effective in shaping international business lawyers?
Topic ideas for term papers in business law
A term paper is a research paper required at the end of a school semester. It keeps track and assesses a student’s knowledge about the course. Law students are required to submit term papers on various courses. You can use an online term paper help service to write your paper or check these few topics ideas for a business law term paper:
- Describe the concept of vicarious liability in business
- Is cyber espionage fully covered under business law?
- Analyze different defenses against violation of business laws
- Discuss how business law applies to natural persons
- Discuss the law of defamation as it relates to the business industry
- Discuss the availability of business lawyers in the world
- How do unincorporated associations fit in business law?
- How do domicile, citizenship, and nationality affect business laws?
- How is business law affected by corporative societies?
- Discuss the place of incorporated associations in business law
- What are the solutions to a breach of business contract?
- Discuss the rights and duties of workers in any formal entity
- What is the role of government in ensuring fair play in the business sector?
- Does an employee have a right to determine the terms of the contract?
- What are the leading causes of vitiating business contracts?
- What role does business law play in curbing artificial shortage of products?
- Discuss aspects (benefits and challenges) of maintaining business law
- What issues may affect the effective acquittal of a business contract
- What is the legal procedure for formulating a business contract?
- Discuss various limitations of actions within business contracts
- What is the significance of business wills and easing business law transactions?
- What challenges do businesses face when pursuing a regular or commercial lease?
Business law essay topics
The best way to write a business law essay is through the IRAC method. IRAC stands for Issue, Rule, Analysis, and Conclusion. It is a useful tool for making persuasive legal arguments.
- Describe various bodies that regulate international business
- Evaluate business laws that handle compensation
- What are the various sources of international business law?
- What business laws determine partnerships
- Analyze the effect of different taxation mechanisms
- How do business laws affect employer-employee relationships?
- Discuss business laws that regulate employee working hours and compensation
- How do business laws influence the wealth of different individuals?
- What is the role of business law in the global economy?
- Do business laws affect the supply of products?
- Investigate the influence of labor laws within the country
- Analyze the enforcement of contract law in emerging economies
- Conduct a thorough analysis of the tort liability law
- What are the limitations of implementing Islamic law in contract law?
- What is the importance of privacy policies on contract law?
- Compare the effect of contract law on small, medium, and large enterprises
- Is contract law significant for small and single entrepreneurs?
- Does contract law reinforce versatility in business law?
- Discuss how different states implement contract law
- What is the difference between the UK and the EU in the execution of contract law?
- Discuss the code, law, and interpretation in the digital world.
Business law project ideas
A law project, by definition, is the structuring of a new legal matter or new client. The initial step in doing a law project is doing some background research on the presented legal matter. Below is a list of business law project ideas:
- Discuss the correlation between business laws and sustainable development goals(SDGs)
- How does cyber breaching affect business law?
- Innovate ways of developing business laws
- How does government impede effective business laws?
- Discuss the significance of following current trends in business law
- Discuss strategies for averting sabotage of business laws
- What is the significance of business laws in promoting gender equality?
- Discuss different countries that need to implement better business laws
- Discuss the correlation between recession and business law
- Is there a relationship between business laws and literacy levels in a country?
- What are the different ways of regulating online gaming websites?
- In what instances do data confidentiality policies in business inapplicable
- What does international business law do to mitigate harmful human behavior in the workplace?
Research paper topics for business law class
Business law classes are intellectually challenging and demanding. A student is required to solve problems arising from legal challenges constantly. Here are top notch topics for law class;
- What is the impact of whistleblower laws on various legal cases?
- Differentiate between business law in communist versus capitalist states
- What would be the effect of introducing the death penalty on corporate crimes?
- What are the best techniques for protecting authors and their work?
- How would you avoid copyright and patent lawsuits while attempting to duplicate a rival product in the market?
- Discuss methods of keeping a company solvent without employee layoffs
- Describe the legal consequences of lowering confidentiality for consumer protection
Business law research paper topics around the banking industry
Business Law in the banking industry refers to laws that oversee how banks and other financial institutions conduct business. These business entities must adhere to certain local, state, regional, and international laws. Here are a few suggested business law research paper topics around the banking industry:
- Discuss various aspects of Fintech, smart contracts, blockchain, and crypto-assets in business law
- What is the significance of business law in countering money laundering?
- Analyze the role of internet banking in business and how it can be regulated using business law
- Classify the best law strategy to set up the capital structure for a retail bank
- Evaluate the efficiency of electronic banking in ensuring customer satisfaction
- Discuss the elements of sustainable/green finance
- Analyze the role of business law in debt capital markets
- What guidelines does business law offer for restructuring and insolvency?
- How does business law regulate non-performing loans(NLPs)?
- Define registration, enforcement, and realizations (business security) concerning business law
Legal research question
Legal research is the process of classifying and reclaiming information needed to support legal decision-making. Legal research is performed by lawyers, paralegals, law librarians, or anyone who wants legal information. Here is a list of research topics suitable for legal research:
- How important is the gender issue in defining the role of lawyers?
- Do business lawyers establish political stability and social order in their work
- What is the role of legal collectives within public debates?
- Discuss the correlation between business laws and peaceful cohabitation at the workplace
- List the functions of various statutory bodies involved with business law
- Define how succession laws affect business
- Relate the penal code and business laws
- What is the correlation between business law and criminal law?
- Discuss the sovereignty of business law
- What powers do societies and trade unions hold?
- What is the role of business laws in ensuring the rights of persons with disabilities are met?
- What is the legal procedure of amending business laws?
- How does business law maintain employer responsibility?
- Discuss the effect of the law of property on business organizations?
- How does business law protect intellectual property rights?
- What is the significance of legal positivism in business law?
- Discuss business laws that manage industrial designs
- What is the significance of legal realism in business law?
- How is business law upheld using legal interpretivism?
Business law topics for your dissertation
A dissertation is a long piece of educational writing established on original research. Structuring a dissertation is the most important trick to writing a good business law dissertation. Below is a list of suitable topics for a dissertation:
- Evaluate the difference between law enforcement for offline and online copyright infringement
- What are the challenges of acquiring a commercial lease?
- HIPAA and creditable coverage
- Research study on HIPAA
- Discuss lawyer defections in business law
- Discuss duress and unwarranted influence during a contract signing
- Discuss affirmative action in business
- Differentiate between proprietary versus contract security
- HIPAA and the employer
- Discuss fall protection in the construction industry
- How does censorship affect business?
As explained in this article, Business Laws are the rules that govern the affairs of an individual or an enterprise involved in trade, commerce, and merchandise. Writing a good business law research paper requires proper preparation and resources, for example, creating an outline. The IRAC method entails the proper framework for structuring law papers on various business law topics.
You may be stuck with a business law assignment with no clue what to write. Just seek professional assignment writing services.