What are the five steps of analyzing an argument?
The five steps of analyzing an argument are as follows: determining what the arguer MEANS, CONSECUTIVELY numbering arguments, identifying the MAIN CLAIM of the argument, DIAGRAMMING the argument, and CRITIQUING the argument.
To analyze an argumentative essay, you need a good understanding of an argumentative essay. When you analyze an argument, you evaluate the arguments presented by someone else. Analyzing an argument is important to equip you with critical analysis skills that you can apply in real-life situations.
Argumentative essay examples
The two types of argumentative essays, based on the writers’ position. Remember, you do not have to take a position in all argumentative essays.
1. Two-Sided Argumentative Essay
This is a type of argumentative essay that you are required to argue on both positions neutrally. Under this essay, you should not be skewed or favour any given position to maintain the objectivity of the essay. Your role is to provide the strengths and weaknesses of each position for the readers to make their judgment.
2. Open Argumentative Essay
This type of essay requires you to take a position right from the beginning. Although you are free to support your position, you should also provide factual information on other positions. You should make the reader understand and agree that your position is better.
Introduction of an Argumentative Essay
Writing a quality essay starts with a good introduction. When writing an essay, start with a hook. A hook sentence helps to captivate readers and capture their attention to read to the end. Just search online to find argumentative essay introduction examples from different websites online.
Like any other essay, an argumentative essay should have a thesis statement. The thesis statement should be debatable. Here are argumentative essay thesis examples:
- With the increase in gun violence, the federal government should eliminate the Second Amendment.
- Immigration laws should be overhauled because many undocumented immigrants are forced to live in hiding.
Examples of Argumentative Essay Topics
- Does the death penalty help in the reduction of the crime rate?
- Can the illegalization of tobacco prevent smoking?
- Are standardized exams suitable for evaluating the performance of students?
- Should school uniforms be abolished?
- Will the U.S-Mexico Wall be effective in addressing the issue of illegal immigration?
Elements of an Argumentative Essay
It is the main argument of an essay made by the writers. Writers first take a position before providing evidence to support their position. It comes at the opening of the essay to direct the readers. An example of a claim is that “…the earth is spherical.”
In this part, you are supposed to substantiate your claim. This is the point where you connect your readers to your evidence on why the claim is authentic.
The information that you use to support your reason for supporting your argument. Your evidence can be a numerical figure, data, or a factual statement from a credible source.
Assumptions are beliefs held by writers that they also want to pass to the readers. The opinion can be stated openly, or the writer can describe it in the article.
Controversial Argumentative Essay
Science has many controversial topics that focus on contradicting natures. Controversial essay topics lead to growth in knowledge since writers have to research facts to support their position.
Examples of controversial argumentative essay topics include:
- Should abortion be legalized
- The federal government should overhaul laws on gun ownership
- Euthanasia should be made legal in the country
Choosing an Argumentative Essay
When analyzing an argument, examiners check whether you have selected the right topic. You should consider the level of understanding of the topic you are about to choose. Your knowledge of the topic will help you provide sufficient evidence supported by facts.
You should select good argumentative essay topics that you can analyze with ease. The topics should be arguable, controversial, and researchable. It will help if you read extensively to have a good understanding of different argumentative topics including cause and effect essay topics, compare and contrast argumentative essay topics, etc.
You can familiarize yourself with free argumentative essay examples. There are many good argumentative essay examples touching on diverse topics. These essays will teach you how to select a topic and develop it. Whether you want argumentative essay topics for high school or argumentative essay topics for college, there are credible assignment help websites online that can help you.
Argumentative Essay Topics on Different Subjects
You are required to write an argumentative essay regardless of the subject and discipline you are taking. Your choice of topic will determine your score. Here are some of the topics you can select in various subjects:
Social Media Argumentative Essay Topics
Argumentative essays on social media revolve around the effects that social media has contributed to society. Some of the topics include:
- Should young children be allowed to use social media?
- Social media has destroyed physical communication.
- Has social media altered our perception of beauty?
Mental Health Argumentative Essay Topics
Argumentative essays on mental health primarily center on the controversies revolving around the subject. Some of the topics include:
- Solitary confinement contributes to mental health among inmates.
- Social media contributes to mental health.
Psychology Argumentative Essay Topic
Psychology argumentative essay topic revolves around the concept of psychology such as cognitive and behavioral aspects. Some of the topics include:
- Same-sex marriages nurture mentally traumatized children
- Watching news aggravates the mental problem
Argumentative Essay Topics About Education
An argumentative essay on education touches on those issues of controversy that affect the learning process. Some of the topics include:
- Boys and girls should attend different schools.
- Standardized tests are not effective in evaluating students.
Sports Argumentative Essay Topics
Sports attract many fans across the world. There are a variety of sports argumentative essay topics because sport attracts massive debate among fans. Some of the topics include:
- Sports betting should be criminalized to safeguard the economy
- College athletes should be paid like every other professional athlete
- Boxing and MMA should be abolished because they propagate violence
History Argumentative Essay Topics
Debate on historical events enhance awareness and guide society on the future decision. Some of the history argumentative essay topics include:
- The disagreement on slavery caused the American Civil War
- The rise of feminism was a disadvantage to men.
- Should there be reparation for African Americans because of slavery?
What next? Are you stuck with your assignment? Let our essay writers help you now.