PRAC 6665 WEEK I
Assignment 2: Clinical Skills Self-Assessment
Before embarking on any professional or academic activity, it is vital to understand the background, knowledge, and experience you bring to it. You might ask yourself, “What do I already know? What do I need to know? And what do I want to know?” This critical self-reflection is especially important for developing clinical skills such as those for advanced practice nursing.
The PMHNP Clinical Skills List and PMHNP Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form provided in the Learning Resources can be used to celebrate your progress throughout your practicum and identify skills gaps. The skills list covers all the necessary skills you should demonstrate during your practicum experiences.
For this Assignment (just as you did in PRAC 6645), you assess where you are now in your clinical skill development and make plans for this practicum. Specifically, you will identify strengths and opportunities for improvement regarding the required practicum skills. In this practicum experience, when developing your goals and objectives, keep assessment and diagnostic reasoning in mind. As you complete your self-assessment this week, you may wish to reflect on your growth and reflect on your self-assessments from prior practicums.
- Review the clinical skills in the PMHNP Clinical Skills List document. You should print out this document to serve as a guide throughout your practicum.
- Review the “Developing SMART Goals” resource on how to develop goals and objectives that follow the SMART framework.
- Review the nursing competencies and nursing theory resources, and consider how these inform your practice.
- Download the PMHNP Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form to complete this Assignment.
Use the PMHNP Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form to complete the following:
- Rate yourself according to your confidence level , performing the skills identified in the Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form.
- Based on your ratings, summarize your strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Based on your self-assessment and nursing practice theory, develop three to four (3–4) measurable goals and objectives for this practicum experience. Please include them in the designated area of the form.