PCN 520 Grand Canyon Week 3 Complete Work
PCN 520 Grand Canyon Week 3 Discussion 1
Conflict typically appears when a group is in transition. State several forms of conflict you can expect in the types of groups you will lead. Consider group members suffering with substance use disorders. What are your own reactions to conflict? How will this influence your ability to help members recognize and work through conflicts?
PCN 520 Grand Canyon Week 3 Discussion 2
How could the use of role plays among group members facilitate the goals of early and transition stage groups? What purpose could role plays serve for individual members and for the group as a whole?
PCN 520 Grand Canyon Week 3 Assignment
Groups in Action Workbook Assignment
Upon viewing “The Evolution of a Group” from the Groups in Action DVD, you will answer workbook questions that emphasize the application of concepts and techniques appropriate to the various stages of a group’s development.
As you watch the DVD, you will come to an icon number (1-16). It is at this time that you must stop the DVD and read the text corresponding to the icon number in the workbook. For example, the first icon you will come to is: 1: Initial Stage. Stop the DVD and read the text for Icon 1: Initial Stage in the workbook (pages 20-21). Answer the assigned questions below on “Groups in Action Workbook – Evolution of a Group (Segments 1-3).”
Icon 1: Questions 3 and 4 (pages 20-21)
Icon 2: Question 3 (page 23)
Icon 3: Questions 1 and 3 (pages 24-25)
Icon 4: Questions 2 and 3 (page 26)
Icon 5: Questions 1 and 3 (page 27)
Icon 6: Questions 1 and 2 (page 30)
Icon 7: Questions 1 and 2 (pages 30-31)
Icon 8: Questions 1 (page 31) and 1 (page 32)
Icon 9: Questions 1 and 3 (page 33)
Icon 10: Questions 1 and 5 (pages 35-36)
Icon 11: Question 2 (page 43)
Icon 12: Question 1 (page 45)
Icon 13: Questions 2-4 (pages 46-47)
Icon 14: Questions 2 and 4 (page 51)
Icon 16: Questions 3 and 4 (page 53)
You will be graded on the overall quality of your responses, which may range from a few sentences to a short paragraph, depending on the nature of the question.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
You are not required to submit this assignment to Turnitin.
Groups in Action Workbook–Evolution of a Group (Segments 1-3)
Upon viewing the Groups in Action DVD (Segments 1-3), you will answer workbook questions that emphasize the application of concepts and techniques appropriate to the various stages of a group’s development. As you watch the DVD, you will come to an icon number (1-16). It is at this time you must stop the DVD and read the text corresponding to the icon number in the workbook.
For example, the first icon you will come to is 1: Initial Stage. Stop the DVD and read the text for Icon 1: Initial Stage in your workbook (pp. 20-21).
Icon 1: Questions 3 and 4 (p. 21)
3) James says, “I feel like an outsider.” How might you work with his statement
4) Jacqueline says, “I feel stupid when I ramble. “How would you deal with her self-deprication in the first session?
Icon 2: Question 3 (p. 23)
3) Imagine yourself as a member at the first meeting. What fears would you have about participating? What would help you feel more trusting?
Icon 3: Questions 1 and 3 (pp. 24-25)
1) What would help you feel comfortable enough to speak about yourself if you were a member of a group
3) What would you say to a quiet member who tells you that in his/her culture it is considered impolite to speak up without being specifically asked to talk?
Icon 4: Questions 2 and 3 (p. 26)
2) James says, “I worry a lot that I need to prove myself.”
3) Casey says, “I rehearse countless times before I speak because I want to say things right.”
Icon 5: Questions 1 and 3 (p. 27)
1) What purpose do you see in asking members to engage in role-playing, even at the early sessions?
3) What factors pertaining to a member’s culture or gender might you consider before initiating a role play in this group?
Icon 6: Questions 1 and 2 (p. 30)
1) How would you use contracts with a group you are leading? How would you help members design their contract?
2) If you were a member of this group, how open would you be in agreeing to make a contract? What would help you in making a contract?
Icon 7: Questions 1 and 2 (pp. 30-31)
1) What do you observe in members when they talk directly to another person as opposed to talking about that person?
2) If you were a leader in this group, what cultural factors would you be sensitive to before asking members to speak directly to one another?
Icon 8: Questions 1 (p. 31) and 1 (p. 32)
1) What therapeutic value do you see in asking members to make eye contact with another person in the group as they are talking about a problem area?
1) Jyl cries and says she feels exposed. As a leader, how would you respond to her?
Icon 9: Questions 1 and 3 (p. 33)
1) How might the way you deal with conflict in your personal life help or hinder you as a leader in dealing with conflicts in groups?
3) How would you respond to Jacqueline when she makes the comment, “What I have to say would not be nice.”?
Icon 10: Questions 1 and 5 (pp. 35-36)
1) Imagine you are co-leading this group. Pick one of the member’s statements above and write your response to him/her.
5) What other strategies can you think of to address a member’s hesitation and/or avoidance?
Icon 11: Question 2 (p. 43)
2) What intervention might you make with SusAnne, and what would you most hope to accomplish with it?
Icon 12: Question 1 (p. 45)
1) If Andrew declared he was tired of feeling locked up and wanted to be different, how would you pursue work with him?
Icon 13: Questions 2-4 (pp. 46-47)
2) Of the comments made above by Susanne, Jackie, Jacqueline, and James, which one of them most catches your interest and why? What would you say to this person
3) In the closing minutes of a group, a member says she feels cut off by you. What would you say or do?
4) A member says, “I didn’t feel that we accomplished anything today. I was bored, but didn’t say anything for fear of offending anyone. ”How would you respond?
Icon 14: Questions 2 and 3 (p. 51)
2) At the check in, assume Jyl says, “Last week I left feeling very disappointed. Even though I stated I wanted to talk about my father, we never got around to it. I felt cheated. “What would be your response?
4) How would you handle the situation if you discovered that several members meet regularly between sessions?
Icon 16: Questions 3 and 4 (p. 53)
3) What intervention would you make if several other members joined in with Susanne and stated that they too had difficulty trusting this group?
4) In the scenario described on the previous page, Casey has concerns about both Susanne and Jacqueline, and expresses her fear that they might judge her. What intervention would you make?
From Corey, G., Corey, M.S., & Haynes, R. (2006). Groups in Action: Evolution and Challenges (8th ed.).Belmont, CA: Thomson Brooks/Cole.
Check out this related post: PCN 520 Grand Canyon Week 4 Complete Work.