NURS 8100 Wk 8 Discussion Federalism’s Impact on Policy
NURS 8100 Wk 8 Discussion: Federalism’s Impact on Policy
The fragmentation of the U.S. health care system, with its different modes of financing and service delivery, reflects a dispersed government structure. Policy-making is shared and distributed across various branches and levels of government. As a result, policy-making processes can be slow to respond, manipulated towards personal interests, and often redundant. Consider, for example, the public entitlement programs such as Medicaid, Medicare, the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIPS), and the PPACA of 2010. Where is there overlap between these policies? How do they demonstrate a dispersed government structure?
This week, you will analyze the federal government’s role in health care policy-making.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources focusing on the France article and the textbook readings.
- Identify two nursing or health care policies that address similar needs, one passed at the federal level and the other at another level of government (state or local).
By Day 3
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
- Provide an example of two policies that address similar needs, passed at two levels of government (i.e., federal, state, or local).
- What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of this duplication? How does this example reflect the implications of federalism? Provide support from the literature for your position.
- To what degree should the federal government get involved in health care policy-making? Provide concrete examples to support your position.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question substantiated with additional background information, evidence or research.
- Share an insight from reading your colleagues’ postings and synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Offer and support an alternative perspective using classroom readings or your research in the Walden Library.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
- Make suggestions based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.
- Expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.
Note: Please see the Syllabus and Discussion Rubric for formal Discussion question posting and response evaluation criteria.NURS 8100 Week 4: Policy Analysis Paper
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you learned and/or any insights you gained due to the comments made by your colleagues.
Support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and any additional sources.
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 8 Discussion Rubric
Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 6
To participate in this Discussion:
Week 8 Discussion