NURS 6104: Martha Rogers Theory Assignment
Theory Critique Assignment & Rubric
Part 1: Write a 4-5 page paper on an assigned theorist that includes a title and reference page. Include the following:
- Identify the background history of the theorist
- Describe the central theme/concept of the nursing theorist you have chosen.
- Describe how the theorist describes or defines the traditional four metaparadigm concepts of
- person, environment, health, and nursing
- Describe how this theory could be used in wellness and illness care
- What are the strengths of the nursing theory?
- What are the weaknesses of the nursing theory?
- Describe how the nursing theory can be used by a graduate-level nurse.
- Discuss one nursing research article published in the past five years that used this theory as a basis for the study. Definition of nursing research article: a research study that was done by nurses and/or published in a peer-reviewed nursing journal.
When discussing the study:
o State the research question or hypothesis
o Describe what was studied
o Discuss how the study and its findings relate to the theory
Develop a PowerPoint on the assigned nursing theorist and his/her theory that will include the above parts of your paper. The presentation should be no more than 12 slides. It should include speaker notes or can have a voice-over to expand on the bulleted slide contents. Citations should be included in the speaker notes. All references should be on one slide at the end. A title slide including your names and the title of the presentation should begin the presentation.
Part 2: Post the paper in the drop box under Assignments by the due date.
Part 3: Post the PowerPoint in the appropriate discussion forum for classmates to see and make comments.
Comment on one other student’s PowerPoint. Use scholarly references for your responses.
Examples of views you may want to add to the discussion:
o How you could or have used the theory (even if it was inadvertently) in your own practice?
o How the theories may be alike or different.
o What you may have found interesting or confusing.
o Your secondary post should be at least 200 words and not more than 400 words- you do not have to include all of these examples in your post, only one but it should have enough substance.
Also take a look at NURS 5051/NURS 6051: Transforming Nursing and Healthcare Through Technology