Career Planning NR452 RUA
NR452 Capstone Course
PURPOSE Having a clear vision for the future, setting reasonable goals, and developing strategies for meeting those goals are important steps in ensuring control of one’s professional future. This assignment provides the student with the opportunity to demonstrate a commitment to ongoing personal and professional development through the creation of a one-year and five-year professional career plan in nursing. It also creates an awareness of/partnership with Chamberlain’s Career Services professionals, Career Care Plan, and resources available through Chamberlain Career Care. Career Planning NR452 RUA
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
• CO #1: Synthesize knowledge from the sciences, humanities, and nursing in managing the needs of humans as consumers of healthcare in a patient-centered environment. (PO# 1)
• CO #2: Integrate communication and relationship skills in teamwork and collaboration functioning effectively with
health team members and consumers of care. (PO 3)
• CO #5: Explore the impact of professional standards, legislative issues, ethical principles, and values on
ORDER NOW FOR PLAGIARISM-FREE PAPERS
professional nursing, using data to monitor outcomes and improve quality and safety. (PO# 5, 6)
Unless otherwise instructed by the faculty, this assignment is due to be submitted in the course dropbox no later the 12 am (midnight) on the Sunday at the end of Unit 4. The College’s Late Assignment Policy applies to this activity. Career Planning NR452 RUA
TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE
Write a maximum of 4-6 pages, excluding the title page, reference page, and appendix. • Transition into the Professional Nursing Role: Identify actions to be considered in the transition from student to
BSN graduate nurses include:
• Identify the state in which the student is seeking employment.
• Detail a minimum of three (3) criteria set forth by the Board of Nursing for obtaining an RN license in that state.
• Research and identify three (3) positions/employers the student could work for as a new graduate BSN in the geographic area the student is seeking employment. Identify motivators and possible detractors for working in those positions/with the selected employers.
Hint: Check out the LiquidCompass job board to identify New Graduate nursing positions in your geographic area. LiquidCompass is available in CareerCare under the ‘Additional Resources’ tab.
• Provide the details of what is required to submit an application for the positions identified above.
• Determine career goals through the completion of a Career Assessment Profile in CareerCare.
• Holistic Life Balance: Provide a description of the ways in which the student intends to maintain holistic balance in
their personal life as well as in the role of a professional nurse within the first year and at five years.
• Stressors and Challenges: Identity known stressors and anticipated challenges as well as plans for managing each
of them within the first year and at five years. Career Services can provide assistance with this assignment
element (i.e., How do I get to where I want to go in nursing? What are my goals? What challenges must be
addressed to reach my goals? etc.).
• Lifelong Learning: Determine a plan for lifelong learning and educational development anticipated within the first
a year and at five years.
o This plan can include but is not limited to, specialty certification, advanced nursing education, and the
pursuit of formal education outside of the nursing discipline.
NR452 Capstone Course
NR452 RUA Career Planning Guidelines V4.docx May 30, 2019, SRK 2
• Professional Contributions: Summarize plans for (a) contributing to at least one professional nursing community
as well as the student’s general community in the healthcare professional role within the first year and at five
years, and (b) examining the need for the student’s own professional nursing development related to
monitoring outcomes data for patient quality & safety (i.e., how do I need to develop to better assess data that
helps me deliver safe patient care and improve the quality of that care?). Career Planning NR452 RUA
• Scholarly Resources:
o A minimum of three (3) peer-reviewed scholarly sources are required in support of this assignment. o A minimum of one (1) professional nursing organization website or Board of Nursing website is required in
support of this assignment.
PREPARING THE ASSIGNMENT • Maximum of 4-6 pages, excluding the title page, reference page, and the appendix.
o Students may find the following list of resources helpful in completing the assignment:
o American Nurses Credentialing Center at http://www.nursecredentialing.org/certification.aspx
o Board of Nursing Contact at https://www.ncsbn.org/contact-bon.htm
o Holistic Nursing at http://www.ahna.org/About-Us/What-is-Holistic-
o National Council of State Boards of Nursing athttps://www.ncsbn.org/index.htm
o Nursing Community at http://www.thenursingcommunity.org/
o Robert Wood Johnson Foundation at http://www.rwjf.org/
o Sigma Theta Tau International at http://www.nursingsociety.org • Update Career Assessment Profile
o To complete the profile access CareerCare through your student portal at my.chamberlain.edu (Resources > Support Services > Career Services > Access CareerCare)
o First-time Log-in: You will be prompted to complete a profile, which includes the question “Do you want career services assistance”
o Returning user: Upon login, select ‘My Account – ‘My profile’. Locate the question “Do you want Career Services assistance”
o Take a screenshot of the completed Career Assessment Profile – see the example below
o Profile Last Modified Date should reflect recent updates.
o Career Assessment Profile Screenshot Example
• The sources cited both in text and on the reference page for this assignment will be formatted according to APA guidelines.
• Plan early to contact Career Services professionals on campus to help in your collections of resource material, ideas, and professional career planning counsel.
http://www.nursecredentialing.org/certification.aspx Career Planning NR452 RUA