BIO 220 Grand Canyon Week 1 Complete Work
BIO 220 Grand Canyon Week 1 Discussion 1
Choose an environmental issue from your textbook, or from your own personal experience and explain how this environmental issue directly affects you. What is the role of environmental science in addressing this issue? What challenges do you believe are the obstacles that would hinder the recommendations of environmental scientists to address this environmental issue from being successfully implemented?
BIO 220 Grand Canyon Week 1 Discussion 2
Go to the following website to determine your personal footprint:.nature.org/greenliving/carboncalculator/index.htm”>.nature.org/greenliving/carboncalculator/index.htm”>http://www.nature.org/greenliving/carboncalculator/index.htm Report the result of your personal footprint assessment. What factors do you think had the most effect on your footprint? What can you do to change your footprint? (Note: For those students using a Screen Reader refer to the Directions for Screen Reader Users.)
BIO 220 Grand Canyon Week 1 Assignment
Complete the “Scientific Method Matching Exercise Resource.” GCU style is not required, but solid academic writing is expected. You are not required to submit this assignment to Turnitin, Scientific Method Matching Exercise Resource In Part I, match each example from Column 2 with the correct step of the scientific method in Column 1. Explain the reasoning for your choice in Part II. Part I
|Column 1: Scientific Method Steps||Column 2: Examples of Tasks|
|___ Ask a question|
|___ Create a hypothesis|
|___ Conduct an experiment|
|___ Collect data|
|___ Interpret results|
|___ Report results|
- a) A scientist, based on his observation of the pond, believes that if a pond is exposed to the waste of an industrial plant, then the growth of algae will be accelerated.
- b) In her laboratory, a scientist pours a vial of waste water, collected from the industrial plant, and adds it to a dish containing pond water. A second dish (the control dish), containing the same pond water, does not receive the waste water sample.
- c) A scientist wonders if the waste water emitted from an industrial plant is accelerating the growth of algae in a pond.
- d) After five days, the scientist measures the amount of algae present in each dish.
- e) The scientist submits his findings to a scientific journal.
- f) After the data is collected, the scientist discovers that the dish containing both the pond water and waste water had more than twice the amount of algae than the control dish.
- g) A scientist observes that a pond adjacent to an industrial plant has heavier algae growth than ponds farther away.
Explain why you believe the “Examples of Task” (Column 2) that you selected is an example of the corresponding “Scientific Method Steps” (Column 1).
1) The “Examples of Tasks” I selected for the Scientific Method Step: “Observe”, is accurate because:
2) The “Examples of Tasks” I selected for the Scientific Method Step: “Ask a question” is accurate because:
3) The “Examples of Tasks” I selected for the Scientific Method Step: “Create a hypothesis” is accurate because:
4) The “Examples of Tasks” I selected for the Scientific Method Step: “Conduct an experiment” is accurate because:
5) The “Examples of Tasks” I selected for the Scientific Method Step: “Collect data” is accurate because:
6) The “Examples of Tasks” I selected for the Scientific Method Step: “Interpret results” is accurate because:
7) The “Examples of Tasks” I selected for the Scientific Method Step: “Report results”, is accurate because:
Check out this related post: BIO 220 Grand Canyon Week 2 Complete Work.